Thursday 5 January 2012

Happy New Year

Most years while living in Thailand my family and I have gone over to a friend's place to celebrate.  Often they would have a bonfire in the yard, around which we would all sit drinking cups of hot tea or hot apple cider and chatting... remember New Year's Eve in Chiang Mai is cold for us so a fire was a wonderful thing.  Then at midnight we would gather and let loads of fireworks. Eat your heart out people from countries with sensible rules!  We let off all sorts of crazy things... ah, I miss that part of living in Thailand, although I don't miss the fear factor of it all. THEN, the whole of Chiang Mai would seem to blow up as fireworks would boom and explode for what would seem like an hour!

Then as the kids got older many of them would have a sleepover that night as well and we would go pick them up at nine or ten the next morning...

This year, I watched movies and the boys played computer games for twenty four hours... there were a few piddly fire works let off but the council display was cancelled cos of the storm.... I stood on the balcony and shouted out "Happy New Year" and got a few replies.... low key, lonely, yet kind of a fun night for me... Happy New Year everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment